There are three different funding schemes that companies can apply for:
- EIC Pathfinder, supports the early-stage research and development of new ideas, breakthrough technologies, and cutting-edge science.
- EIC Transition: support mid-stage research and development projects for the development and validation of innovative ideas, new technology, or pioneering science projects.
- EIC Accelerator: aiming SMEs and start-ups helping them scale up and commercialize their innovations. It is a key funding scheme because it encourages economic growth and development and attracts investment.
As already mentioned EIC Accelerator is a very competitive scheme and applicants must go through a tough 3-stage application process.
EIC accelerator application stage #1: Short application
During the first stage of the accelerator application process, applicants have to submit a short application explaining their innovation and the motivation behind it. If the short application gets a minimum of 2 “GO” out of the 4 EIC evaluators, they’ll move to stage 2.
EIC accelerator application stage #2: Full application
If applicants reach stage 2, they’ll then have to prepare and submit a full detailed application explaining every aspect of the innovative project. Applicants need to receive ALL “GOs” from the EIC evaluators to move to stage 3.
EIC accelerator application stage #3: Face-to-face interview
The applicants that reach stage 3 are invited to attend a 40-minute face-to-face interview with a panel of up to six EIC evaluators.
The four cut-off dates for 2022’s accelerator funding applications:
- Deadline 1: 12th January 2022
- Deadline 2: 6th April 2022
- Deadline 3: 15th June 2022
- Deadline 4: 5th October 2022
As the dates are spread out over the year applicants will know the outcome of their application quicker than in previous years.