The EIC Accelerator focuses in particular on innovations building on scientific discovery or technological breakthroughs (“deep tech”) and where significant funding is needed over a long timeframe before returns can be generated (“patient capital”).
DATE FOR SUBMISSION
- Short application: any time
- Full application upon invitation after approval of the short application in 2022: 23 March, 15 June, 05 October
ABOUT THE CALL
The EIC Accelerator focuses in particular on innovations building on scientific discovery or technological breakthroughs *(“deep tech”) and where significant funding is needed over a long timeframe before returns can be generated (“patient capital”).
The EIC Accelerator is for innovators with ground-breaking concepts that could shape new markets or disrupt existing ones in Europe and worldwide.
EIC Accelerator helps you develop your business concept further into a market-ready product, service or process aligned with your company's growth strategy. Activities could, for example, include product/service development, trials, prototyping, validation, demonstration and testing in real-world conditions and market replication.
Technology Readiness Level (TRL) of 5/6 or above is required.
Project duration for grant component: up to 24 months (TRL 5/6 – TRL 8).
Project duration for investment component: tbd during investment agreement negotiations (TRL 9 and beyond).
ACCELERATOR CHALLENGES 2022
Bottom-up approach (across different fields)
1. Technologies for »Fit for 55«
2. Technologies for Open Strategic Autonomy
WHO - ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS
The EIC Accelerator is a mono-beneficiary scheme. Single SMEs (Small and Medium sized Enterprises), including young companies and start-ups, from any sector. You must be established in an EU Member State or a Horizon Europe Associated Country.
In exceptional cases and for rapid scaleup purpose only (TRL 9) small mid-cap companies with up to 500 employees may apply for investment component only.
The EIC Accelerator provides a unique combination of funding from €0.5 to €17.5 million and Business Acceleration services (BAS).
Types of funding:
- Maximum €2.5 million for grant (70% co-financing)
- From €0.5 to €15 million for equity investment only
- From €0.5 to €17.5 million for grant and investment funding (blended finance)
- Personnel Costs
- Other Direct Costs
- Travel (travel + accommodation)
- Equipment depreciation
- Other goods and services (material costs, external services)
- Subcontracting Costs (may be an essential part of the project implementation activities, but should not be a disproportionate part of the total estimated eligible costs)
- Indirect Costs – 25 % of direct costs (subcontracting excluded)
The application process consists of 5 steps
- Step 0: Discovery / Diagnostic modules
- Step 01: Short application (5-page form, pitch deck, video presentation)
- Step 02: Preparation of full application
- Step 03: Submission and remote evaluation
- Step 04: Face-to-face interviews
Novelty in 2022:
Broadened definition of female-led companies beyond the CEO position (extended with CSO, CTO).
The Challenges in 2022:
- Technologies for Open Strategic Autonomy
- Components, technologies and systems for the pharmaceutical industry
- Strategic healthcare technologies
- Sustainable and innovative approaches, including circular approaches to critical raw materials (CRM)
- New applications of quantum technologies
- Edge computing applications
- Innovative applications making use of data and signals from EU space infrastructures
- Development of space technologies
- Critical security technologies
- Technologies for innovative financial and payment infrastructures and services
- Technologies for ‘Fit for 55’:
- Higher clean energy conversion and use
- Decarbonisation of hard-to-abate industries
- Energy efficiency and safety in the built environment
- Zero emission mobility solutions
- Climate neutrality in the land use
- Water, gas and indoor air management/monitoring systems
- Green digital technologies.